Legal Services for the PCV & HGV Industry
24 hour legal cover for a fixed annual fee
Sit BACK and relax
What is it?
BACKUP provides the future of legal advice through 24/7 guidance and representation. Our bespoke service is packed with functionality, uniquely tailored for the HGV & PCV sectors and based on a thousand first hand experiences.
Stop the clock
The unexpected can happen in the blink of an eye. If it does, you will have enough to worry about without the anxiety and burden of how to pay your lawyers.
Backhouse Jones are the foremost transport lawyers and we’ve reengineered the conventional approach to legal fees. Nothing irritates operators more than having to pay by the hour. That’s why we have developed a subscription scheme providing comprehensive advice for a fixed annual fee.
Our industry specific knowledge allows us to provide practical guidance that quickly identifies the issues, enabling you to resolve them effectively.
Backup minimises the calamities and costs that can arise from running a successful transport operation by providing a channelled overview of your business risk on a daily basis.
Our compliance review and training services complement the subscription service. The key aim of our compliance review is to allow Directors to interrogate possible limitations and ensure rigorous and systematic improvement in benchmarking practices.
This allows management to concentrate on maximising profit safe in the knowledge that their regime exceeds industry basic requirements.
What does it cost?
The pricing scale is based on the number of vehicles you operate, starting from 33p per vehicle per day. Just contact us to arrange BACKUP and Improve your current approach to compliance. Your fleet size will fix your fee.
Price on application for 75+ vehicles.
VAT and disbursements charged in addition
What do I get for my fixed fee?
Regulatory Advice, Defence and Representation
You get comprehensive advice on how to obtain and then retain your O licence.
The scheme includes advice on:
- Applying for an O licence
- Providing and satisfying undertakings
- Changes to your Transport Managers
- Changes to your operating centre
- Changes to fleet size
- Changes of entity/directors
- Notifications to TAO
- Matters relating to financial standing
- Notifications of convictions
- DVSA intervention whether VE or TE
- Preparing detailed responses to prohibitions (S marked or PG9)
- Dealing with fixed penalties and/or immobilisation
- How HSE and environmental prosecutions can impact on the operator’s O licence
- The implications of Insolvency/bankruptcy on the operator’s O licence
In addition BACKUP provides full representation:
- At a preliminary hearing before the Traffic Commissioner
- At a Senior Team Leader Meeting
- At a Public Inquiry
- For prosecutions against the operator (TM’s & drivers not included) in relation to matters arising from the operation of a vehicle for Construction & Use (weight/length/
condition), Drivers Hours and Tachograph Equipment
Our seamless service is provided to guide you through what can be the most irksome
aspect of running a transport business – namely the management of employees.
BACKUP provides a complete HR BACK office to advise you on employment law and should an employee bring a claim in the Employment Tribunal representation is provided.
- Updating contracts of employment
- Updating handbooks
- Updating employment policies
- Drafting compromise agreements
- Representation at an Employment Tribunal
Advice & assistance on all standard employment enquiries including:
- The Working Time Regulations 1998 (as amended)
- The Road Transport (Working Time) Regulations 2005
- Misconduct and disciplinary matters (including dismissal)
- Wages, bonuses, attendance bonuses, overtime and general pay disputes
- Unlawful deduction from wages, loans and training costs
- Sickness absence and long term illness
- Maternity and Paternity leave
- Parental leave and time off for dependants
- Flexible working requests
- Confidentiality and restrictive covenants
- The Equality Act 2010 (including sex, disability, race, age, sexual orientation,
disability related discrimination)
- Agency Worker Regulations 2010
- Issues relating to casual, self employed and agency staff
BACKUP includes a free legal consultation and discounted rates in the following areas:
- Commercial contracts (including terms and conditions of trading, supply agreements, contracts for services and Agency, distribution and franchising agreements)
- Commercial disputes arising out of any aspect of the business (for example, breach of contract or sale of goods claims)
- Debt recovery
- Advice on clandestine entrants
- Sale & purchase of property and land
- Dilapidation issues
- Landlord and Tenant issues
- Option agreements
- Mergers and Acquisitions
- Company disposals
- Management buy-ins/buy-outs
- Group and Company restructures
- Joint Ventures
- Investment and Shareholders Agreements
- Banking and Finance
- Corporate Recovery
- Company Formations
- Partnership and LLP advice and information
- Corporate Governance
You need to know
Important: Exclusions and limitations to the provision of the BACKUP package.
- Prosecutions, proceedings or investigations (whether criminal or civil) in any Court, Tribunal, Inquiry or Inquest which are within the contemplation or are brought against or notified to the applicant prior to or within the first three months of the applicant’s subscription to BACKUP
- Prosecutions, proceedings or investigations (whether criminal or civil) in any Court, Tribunal, Inquiry or Inquest brought against the applicant arising out of or relating to death, bodily or psychological injury, property damage, pollution and other environmental issues, health and safety and driver offences (for the purpose of this exclusion driver offences shall include but shall not be limited to the following: driver related manslaughter, dangerous, careless or inconsiderate driving; driving or attempting to drive under the influence of alcohol or drugs; failure to comply with signs, signals directions or restrictions, speed limited; obstruction and parking; failure to furnish information; driving without insurance or driving licence or Driver CPC; the use of handheld devices whilst driving; failure to wear seatbelt).
- Prosecutions, proceedings or investigations (whether criminal or civil) in any Court, Tribunal, Inquiry or Inquest brought against the applicant where the allegation is one of dishonesty, intentional or reckless acts or omissions of the applicant and/or the applicant’s servants or agents.
- Any compensation or other awards or costs ordered or agreed in the course of employment cases.
- Any penalty, fine or other similar imposition, third-party costs or other expenses arising under any fixed penalty process or other penalty
scheme or deposit scheme (criminal or civil) howsoever arising (for example: LEZ or any other emissions scheme, congestion scheme, immigration and asylum, foreign deposits, etc).
- Any advice in relation to the Transfer of Undertakings (Protection of Employment) regulations (amended) 2014.
- Fines, damages, awards, costs or similar expenses ordered against or agreed to be paid by the applicant in the course of or in conclusion of any criminal or civil proceedings.
- The cost of appeal against convictions, fixed penalties or other similar impositions, civil or criminal or the cost of appeal against any decision of any Employment Tribunal or Traffic Commissioners.
- Discrimination cases that are listed for more than one day are excluded and the entire matter will be charged at a discounted hourly rate plus VAT and disbursements.
- All matters arising out of/in respect of war, riots, civil commotion, insurrection and other force majeure events.
- Any legal expenses exceeding £50,000 per matter.
- Any legal costs and/or fees (including any third party fees) that have not been approved (in writing) by Backhouse Jones Solicitors.
- Competition related matters.
- Driver offending is not included within the scheme.
- Cases involving allegations of clandestine entrants.
- Any matter which is covered by an insurance policy maintained by the applicant.
To receive more information regarding our BACKUP package, please contact Chloe West on 01254 828300 or email firstname.lastname@example.org