Review of Traffic Commissioner function – Have Your Say
13 August 2021
The Department for Transport has launched an online consultation as part of a review of the Traffic Commissioner function and industry, local authorities, trade associations and passenger groups are encouraged to have their say.
Specifically, the review will look at:
- whether the functions that are provided by and in the name of Traffic Commissioners are required
- whether the Traffic Commissioners are carrying out their functions effectively and efficiently
- whether the support provided by DVSA and, specifically, Office of the Traffic Commissioner (“OTC)” allows Traffic Commissioners to do so
- whether the current OTC DVSA-provided support and Traffic Commissioner arrangements best support the delivery of these functions
- whether the OTC support continues to be provided by DVSA, or would be more effective if separated, given DVSA’s enforcement functions and the Traffic Commissioner role as independent regulators
- the effectiveness and appropriateness of existing governance, accountability, assurance, and intelligence sharing arrangements
- the appropriateness of delivering additional functions
Anyone with an interest in shaping the future role of Traffic Commissioners can have their say here.
The consultation will run until 11:45pm on 8 September 2021 and the recommendations of the review are expected to be publish in Spring 2022.